We are proud to be a verified member of Bord Bia’s Origin Green Sustainability Programme since May 2018. This program brings together the Irish food industry – from farmers to food producers, retailers to foodservice operators – with the common goal of sustainable food production.
At Hope Beer we understand the importance of sustainability and are committed to doing everything we can to reduce the inputs into our brewery, minimise our impact on the environment and serve our local community more effectively
At Hope Beer we have worked diligently on all parts of our business including the sourcing and usage of raw materials, energy efficiency and packaging waste to ensure we continue to do our part for the environment. Because our brewery was newly built in 2016 we started with a relatively energy efficient set up. However, since 2016 we have continued to make improvements, such as:
• Reducing electricity usage by 25% kWh/l output through energy efficient upgrades and employee awareness
• Reducing water consumption by 16% per litre of beer brewed,
• Reducing general waste volume by 25% in year one and 50% in the planning period
• Recycling 100% of our spent grain (as animal feed)
• Reducing CO2 usage by 10%
• Ensuring all cardboard packaging is FSC certified
• Ensuring 80% of our grain is from Irish producers using the Irish Grain Assurance Scheme (IGAS)/Origin Green accredited supplier
Improving sustainability in our beer production is an ongoing process and each year, as our Origin Green certification is audited, we continue to set short and long-term goals to optimise our environmental impact.